Chocolate Ribbons Cheesecake
A blend of unsweetened and semisweet chocolates is swirled into the batter of this cheesecake, creating the appearance of ribbons decorating each side.
Yield: 10 to 16 slices
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 lb. cream cheese, softened (three 8 oz. pkgs.)
3 large eggs
1 oz. WFC Semisweet Chocolate
1 oz. Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine graham cracker crumbs with 1/2 cup melted butter (reserve remaining butter) and 3 tablespoons sugar. Press into the bottom and 1 1/2" up side of a 9" springform pan. Crumb mixture should extend up 3/4 along the sides of the pan.
- Beat cream cheese with remaining 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in remaining 1/2 cup melted butter.
- Melt the chocolates together over simmering water in an uncovered double boiler; let cool to lukewarm, then mix with 1/4 of the cheesecake batter (about 1 1/4 cups batter).
- Spread half of the plain cheesecake batter in the prepared pan. Dollop the chocolate mixture on top of the plain batter. Gently spoon the remaining plain cheesecake batter on top of the chocolate layer, covering it completely.
- With a long skewer or a long thin knife, make spiraling cuts through the layers to swirl the chocolate.
- Bake the cake for 45 minutes, or until almost set. Let pan cool in closed oven for 2 hours without opening oven door. Chill well in refrigerator before removing springform.
Chocolate Swirls Decoration
Melt 1 to 2 oz. WFC Semisweet Chocolate in an uncovered double boiler; spoon chocolate into paper cone or pastry tube fitted with small plain tip. Pipe chocolate swirls onto top of pastry.