Chocolate Glaze Toasted Almond Coins
A lustrous finish for cookies and pastries.
Yield: glaze for about 6 dozen 2 1/2" cookies
3 oz. WFC Semisweet Chocolate, broken into chunks
1 oz. Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, broken into chunks
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Melt the chocolates together in a double boiler over simmering water or in a bowl in the microwave oven on high power for 2 to 3 minutes. DO NOT COVER.
- When chocolates are soft and easily stirred, combine with butter and stir until smooth and well blended.
Chocolate glaze may be rewarmed to soften if it solidifies. Just roll this cream cheese pastry into logs, slice off each "coin" and bake them until golden. Toasted ground almonds have an extra-rich flavor, complemented by the luscious Chocolate Glaze.
Yield: 5 dozen
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Coarsely chop or grind the almonds. Combine almonds, flour, powdered sugar and salt. Beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla until mixture is well blended; stir in flour mixture.
- Form dough into logs of 2" diameter; tightly wrap each log in wax paper and refrigerate for 4 hours or more.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets. Using one log at a time, unwrap dough and slice into "coins"that are about 1/4" thick. Keep remaining logs chilled until sliced.
- Place on a prepared cookie sheet about 1 1/2" apart. Chill cookies on cookie sheet 30 minutes before baking. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until coins are golden around edges. Remove from oven and let cool on pan for 10 minutes before carefully moving to a cooling rack for glazing with Chocolate Glaze.